Friday 15 April 2011

Event 5: The Swimathon


Can’t really think of a witty headline for this blog so kept it simple. As some of you will have seen last week, Tommy and I took part in the Marie Curie Swimathon on Sunday. This is a great little event which involves participants attempting to swim a variety of distances, 1.5k, 2.5k or 5k. Tommy and I decided to go for the team 5k so the maths was simple, 100 lengths each, done.


As far as training went for this event, well lets just say it didn’t. Both Tommy and I used to swim a lot and were confident in being able to knock the lengths off no problems. However, having not swum a length in a fair few months this was probably a bit naïve but hey, makes it more of a challenge.
           
To be totally honest and uninteresting we both did pretty well, completing all 200 lengths in a little over 2 hours, no stopping, no resting, no drowning, very civilized. We collected our overly substantial medals and went on our merry way.

Ok so I know what you’re thinking, ‘there must have some bad bits’? If you remember back to our first event at the Santa fun run, I complained about the choice of sustenance supplied at the end of the race (who wants a mince pie after a run!??). This event was slightly better, granted, but I’d love to know the thinking behind offering us a cup of cordial that was so strong it made your eyes blur, and a fox’s glacier fruit sweet, which both made me feel rather ill. Another negative of the day was the waiting. Neither Tommy or I are particularly quick through the water, and sitting to count of each others lengths was pretty dull I have to say, just imagine counting to 100 in an hour!

Aside from those small things it was a good event. Tommy and I are both paying for our lack of training today as I can barely lift my arms my shoulders are so stiff and I understand Tommy is having similar repercussions. Another event down and we discovered another whilst we were at the swimming pool, more on that to follow.

I also must mention my late Nan, we were doing the Swimathon in her honor as she was an avid swimmer, and after a very fitting funeral for her on Friday, I’m sure this weekend she would have been very proud.

A bit of housekeeping. We have been neglecting the push of our sponsorship page. Even though this is a personal challenge for Tommy and I, we are raising money for children who are not as fortunate to spend their time on such petty adventures. The One Foundation do fantastic work in underprivileged communities in Africa, and any support you can give us will really help. We don’t expect people to sponsor us for every event, just the 30B430 as one big challenge. So whether you donate by taking part in an event, or through the justgiving site, it will all be much appreciated.

http://www.justgiving.com/30b430/

No comments:

Post a Comment