Wednesday 4 May 2011

Event 6: Ups and Downs MTB


So event 6 reared its early morning head this weekend, unfortunately for us it was early Saturday morning which resulted in both Tommy and I having to stick our fingers in our ears on Friday night and try not to hear all of the fun the rest of the nation was having on Pimms and champagne, courtesy of Wills and Kate. Begrudgingly, we did manage to stay away from parties despite numerous invitations, and arrived on time in Dorking for the 25 miles Ups and Downs Mountain Bike Challenge, run by the guys over at UK Cycling Events & Wiggle.

Our own personal fitness seemed to be in role reversal when compared with the Bath Half. I was feeling fine but Tommy had picked up a bit of a cold, not great as cycling up hills is not what Tommy’s like best.

After a very quick registration and chipping process, we jumped on our bikes, wheeled round to the start line, and after a very quick briefing, we were off. Not many of you will know Dorking but even I didn’t realise how stunning the place is, especially when blessed with some pretty fine weather. Our first hill was one of the worst as it took you up to the top which worried us both ‘surely it’s not doing to be like this for 25 miles!

Mercifully it wasn’t, the course had some long tough climbs but some fast long downhills too, technical in some places and beautiful in many. There was even a halfway point filling station, where the organisers had put on some flapjacks (of which I probably had one too many) and some energy drinks and so-on, over looked by some cows, seemingly eating their breakfast too.

Nice little break, Gooood Flapjacks!
COWS!
The second half of the ride was slightly easier than the first, although it did have the most brutal climb I have encountered on a bike, if anyone cycled up it consider my hat well and truly doffed! To put it in perspective, I had to stop 3 times up it, and I pushed my bike from the bottom!

Nice downhill section. Much fun!
Tommy was a little slower than me in this event which is understandable as he was not 100% and doesn’t have the benefit of being able to ride to work like I do, so after the first hour we’d parted. It only dawned on me while I was sat in the sun at the finish line with my free tea waiting for Tommy to finish, that I was carrying ALL of the puncture repair kit. This concern grew further as an hour ticked past and still no sign. My main concern wasn’t for T­­ommy so to speak, but the fact that had he not finished, by our rules, the event wouldn’t count!

Relaxing at the finish in my Red Socks.
Meanwhile Tommy had managed to get himself lost, missing a marker along the route and heading 2.5 miles in the wrong direction, down a rather nasty hill too.

Knowing nothing of Tommy’s added excursion, when Tommy rounded the corner just over an hour and half after me, it must have looked a little like the scene in Armageddon when the lost ship returns to the other crew-mates (only a little less epic). I was Happy that he’d made it and, and he was just happy it was over. Tommy finished in a respectable 04:43:35 and I managed it in 03:09:49 (had I not had that 4th flapjack it would have a been a gold time! Damn you flapjacks!)

Tommy rolling in!
 Tommy and I both have mixed opinions about this event. It was superbly run, I will certainly be doing more of them, as part of 30B430 or not. If you are interested in cycling, Road or MTB, then check out these guys at www.ukcyclingevents.com they don’t do much wrong. We will be doing the falling leaves event, so if you’re keen for a cycle in October sign up and we’ll see you there.

On a final note, for those of you that don't know I am attempting to win a spot on an epic adventure across Africa with Avis and Red Sock Friday. It's truly and once in a lifetime experience and although it won't count as one of our 30B430 events, it is still embracing the spirit of why we are doing this challenge, to experience things we wouldn't otherwise have done. I NEED VOTES. I am down to the last 8, and have entered a video. All 8 videos are being voted on, and the one with the most votes, wins! It's easy to vote, just sign up to www.redsockfriday.com, go to the Put Foot Rally Videos section on the right of the page and vote for my video 'SAVE ME FROM MY DESK', it's the multicoloured video with ANdrew O'Sullivan under it :). All votes will be much appreciated. THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment